Looking for a keto angel food cake that absolutely nails that classic bouncy (and oh so fluffy) texture that angel food cakes are known for? You’re in luck because this angel food cake recipe absolutely delivers on all fronts, and it’s so easy to change up with your favorite keto approved toppings.
How to Make Keto Angel Food Cake
We know texture is everything, so be sure to follow these steps exactly to get your cake to rise properly. Here’s everything you need to know in order to make the perfect keto angel food cake:
- Preheat the oven. Preheat your oven to 325℉.
- Prepare the baking pan. Line the bottom of a 9 ½ inch tube pan with parchment paper; do NOT grease the pan.
- Combine the ingredients. Add the almond flour, coconut flour, xanthan gum, a pinch of salt, and ¾ cup of a powdered low carb sweetener to the tube pan and whisk to combine. Set aside.
- Whisk. Use the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment to whisk together the large egg whites and cream of tartar for 1-2 minutes on low speed.
- Increase speed. Increase the speed of the stand mixer to medium high and then gradually add the remaining ¼ cup of powdered sweetener. Continue to whisk the egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Add vanilla. Add the pure vanilla extract and whisk to combine.
- Fold. Gradually fold in about ½ cup at a time of the prepared almond flour mixture.
- Bake. Transfer the mixture to the baking pan and bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes.
- Cool. Remove from the oven and immediately invert the pan before leaving it to cool completely.
- Prepare for serving. Run a knife around the sides and center tube of the pan. Remove the cake and transfer it to a serving plate.
- Serve. Serve the cake along with chopped strawberries if desired.
2 Quick Tips for Making Fluffy Keto Angel Food Cake
Here are a few tips that you can keep in mind when making this angel food cake recipe; they will be particularly helpful if you’re having issues getting that bouncy texture just right:
- Make sure that you’re NOT greasing the tube pan (I know it can be a hard habit to break when baking!). Line it with parchment paper only. This step is so important that it bears repeating again. The reason for this is your angel food cake needs to be able to ‘rise’ up the sides of the pan and greasing the pan will inhibit this.
- Consider adding in a bit of whey protein powder along with your other dry ingredients when making this recipe. The protein powder will further help the cake with rising properly. It also has the added benefit of packing in even more nutritional value to this dessert recipe.
Can I Freeze Keto Angel Food Cake?
You can keep this angel food cake out at room temperature (just make sure that it’s tightly covered in plastic wrap) for up to 4 days or you can easily freeze it instead.
If you’re planning on freezing it, I would still wrap it tightly in plastic wrap before placing it in either a large airtight container or a heavy duty freezer-safe bag. You’ll be able to keep this angel food cake frozen for up to 6 months.
(You may also like: Keto Peanut Butter Mug Cake)
Bouncy (And Fluffy) Keto Angel Food Cake
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 16 1x
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
- pinch of salt
- 1 ½ cups powdered low carb sweetener
- 12 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 1 tsp cream of tartar
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
For decoration (optional):
- ½ cup chopped strawberries
- Preheat oven to 325ºF.
- Line the bottom of 9 ½ inch tube pan with parchment paper.
- Do not grease the pan!
- Add the almond flour, coconut flour, xanthan gum, pinch of salt and ¾ cup of powdered sweetener and whisk to combine. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment add the egg whites and cream of tartar.
- Whisk for 1-2 minutes on low speed.
- Then increase the speed to medium high and gradually add the remaining sweetener.
- Whisk the egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Add the vanilla extract and whisk to combine.
- Gradually fold in the almond flour mixture, about 1/2 cup at a time.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and immediately invert the pan.
- Allow to cool completely.
- Run a knife around side and center tube of pan.
- Remove cake to a serving plate.
- Serve with chopped strawberries (if using).