Is Vodka Keto? – Net Carbs, Nutrition Facts and Alternatives
It’s often asked whether a bit of alcohol now and then is allowed even while following a keto diet. Some say no, while others seem to find a way to indulge and still stay in ketosis. So what is the deal with alcoholic drinks? Is vodka keto? Let’s find out.
What Makes Vodka a Popular Choice for Low Carb Diets?
Vodka is one of the more popular spirits for people following low carb diets for a few reasons. Here are some of the more common ones:
- Vodka is low in calories, with a single fluid ounce having only 64 calories (see below).
- Vodka contains 0 grams of net carbs.
- Vodka mixes incredibly well with a variety of popular low carb mixer options (seltzer, club soda, diet soda, etc).
- It’s also a common ingredient used in a ton of keto cocktail recipes since it can be paired with a lot of fruit-based mixers.
Is Vodka Keto?
Vodka is absolutely a 100% keto-friendly drink; after all, it contains absolutely no carbs whatsoever (all of the sugar gets converted into ethyl alcohol during the distillation process).
However, it’s still important to remember that moderation is indeed key when it comes to drinking any type of alcohol, and that’s especially true for anyone following the keto diet. While vodka may not contain carbs, it’s still 64 empty calories; you’re not getting any protein, fats, fiber, or micronutrients from adding vodka to your diet.
But at the end of the day, keto drink options like vodka and dry wine help to make sure that it’s possible to both follow the keto diet and have a healthy, outgoing social life as well.
For that reason alone, you can absolutely feel free to include small amounts of vodka as part of your keto diet plan, 100% guilt-free.
Vodka Nutrition Facts
One fluid ounce (27.8 grams) of 80 proof vodka will have the following nutritional breakdown:
- 64 calories
- 0 grams fat
- 0 grams protein
- 0 grams carbs
- 0 grams dietary fiber
- 0 grams sugar
- 0 mg cholesterol
- 0.3 mg sodium
- 0.3 mg potassium
Good Keto Vodka Cocktails
Vodka Health Benefits
Many people are surprised to learn that drinking vodka can actually provide you with some pretty impressive health benefits as well. Here are some of the main ones:
- May help to relieve stress. We’re not just talking about getting drunk and forgetting about your problems. Many people know that red wine is another drink known to help with providing stress relief, but studies have actually found that drinking vodka in moderation is actually able to reduce stress even more so than red wine does. (1)
- May help to promote heart health. There is mounting evidence that both vodka and red wine offer up a wide variety of cardiovascular health benefits. Vodka can help to increase blood flow, circulation, and even lower levels of the ‘bad’ type of LDL cholesterol; all of which helps to lower your risk of heart disease and stroke. (2)
- Can help relieve inflammation in the body. Semi-regular consumption of vodka can help with relieving chronic inflammation in the body, according to one study. It found that individuals with rheumatoid arthritis who drank vodka a few times per month experienced less pain and inflammation compared to those who abstained. (3)
Keto Vodka Alternatives
Looking for a vodka substitute that still manages to keep things keto-friendly? Try any one of the following keto-friendly alcohol options then:
Ask a Question