Deli meats can work great as a cheap source of meat protein for people following low carb diet plans like the keto diet. There are plenty of tasty deli meat options available as well. Today we’ll be taking a closer look at pepperoni. Is pepperoni keto? Read on to find out.
What Makes Pepperoni Such a Popular Choice for Low Carb Diets?
We’ll start out by taking a look at three of the main reasons why pepperoni is such a popular deli meat choice for low carb dieters. In no particular order, here they are:
- Pepperoni is an excellent source of both protein and dietary fat that can be enjoyed in a wide variety of ways.
- You can either purchase pepperoni from the deli department at your local grocery store or try your hand at making your own homemade pepperoni (or pepperoni crisps/snacks).
- Along with cheese, pepperoni is probably the most popular pizza topping of all, and that fact still remains true when it comes to making low carb pizzas as well.
Is Pepperoni Keto?
Pepperoni is absolutely a 100% keto-friendly deli meat (as are most cured meats).
Pepperoni is quite calorie-dense and it’s also an excellent source of both dietary fat and protein (it can definitely fill you up). On top of that, it contains absolutely no carbs whatsoever.
Beyond that, there are a few different ways that keto dieters can enjoy pepperoni. You can snack on pepperoni sticks or crisps, or simply go with the tried and true classic pepperoni pizza topping.
All things considered, if you’re a fan of pepperoni, then you can absolutely feel free to enjoy it while following the keto diet.
Pepperoni Nutrition Facts
Here is the approximate nutritional breakdown for a 100 gram serving size of pepperoni:
- 494 calories
- 44 grams dietary fat
- 23 grams protein
- 0 grams carbs
- 0 grams dietary fiber
- 0 grams sugar
- 105 mg cholesterol
- 1761 mg sodium
- 279 mg potassium
Good Keto Pepperoni Recipes
What Are the Best Keto-Friendly Pepperoni Brands?
Here are our top 3 picks for keto approved pepperoni brands:
- Vermont Uncured Smoked Pepperoni – A classic pepperoni option that provides the perfect blend of both smoky and spicy.
- Union Whole Earth Snacks Pepperoni Crisps – Enjoy your pepperoni as a low carb crispy snack with just a hint of pepper and spice flavoring.
- Old Wisconsin Pepperoni Snack Bites – Another great healthy snacking option, these pepperoni snack bites are absolutely bursting with flavor.
Keto Approved Pepperoni Substitutes
Not a pepperoni fan? No worries, you can use any of the following options as a keto approved pepperoni substitute: