Is Cream Cheese Keto or Too High in Carbs?
Many people often wonder if they’re allowed to eat dairy products still while following a keto diet. The short answer is that yes, it’s perfectly fine to enjoy dairy, so long as you’re being mindful of which dairy sources you’re eating. For example: is cream cheese keto?
There are tons of flavored cream cheese options on the market that are presumably not keto, so what’s the deal?
Today, we’re going to be taking an in-depth look at this popular dairy product in order to definitively answer that question.
What Makes Cream Cheese a Popular Choice for Low Carb Diets?
Cream cheese is used in a huge variety of low carb meals and recipes for quite a few reasons. Here are just a few of the reasons why it’s such a popular choice.
- Cream cheese is a calorie dense food option that has a minimal amount of net carbs.
- Cream cheese is an excellent source of dietary fat.
- Cream cheese can also be a source of protein.
- Cream cheese contains trace amounts of other essential vitamins and minerals.
- Cream cheese can be used in everything from low carb desserts to making keto fat bombs for snacking.
Is Cream Cheese Keto?
Just because a food can be worked into a low carb diet plan doesn’t automatically make it a ‘keto’ food. So is cream cheese really keto?
We’re happy to report that cream cheese is indeed a 100% keto-friendly food. The only macronutrient that it really provides in abundance is fat, which is obviously a huge net benefit for keto dieters.
While cream cheese doesn’t really offer a huge amount of protein, it still does provide you with a modest amount, all the while keeping overall net carbs to the absolute minimum.
Not only is cream cheese a great keto-friendly food in its own right, but it can also be used in a large variety of keto dessert recipes to make some truly tasty low carb creations.
Cream Cheese Nutrition Facts
Wondering how cream cheese breaks down nutrition wise? Here are the facts for approximately one cup of cream cheese:
- 793 calories
- 79 grams fat
- 14 grams protein
- 9 grams carbs
- 0 grams dietary fiber
- 7 grams sugar
- 255.2 mg cholesterol
- 744.7 mg sodium
- 320.2 mg potassium
Keto Cream Cheese Recipes (The Best Desserts, Meals and Snacks)
What Are the Best Keto-Friendly Cream Cheese Brands?
Since not all brands of cream cheese are created equally, we thought it would be useful to provide you with a list of the best keto-friendly cream cheese brands. So without further ado:
- Organic Valley Organic Cream Cheese – An 8 ounce block of cream cheese made with organic milk from pasture raised cows; keto dieters really can’t go wrong with this tasty option.
- Green Valley Creamery Lactose-Free Cream Cheese – An option that’s both lactose-free and incredibly tasty, this cream cheese product is perfect for anyone who wants to be able to enjoy cream cheese without having to worry about the lactose content.
- Arla Original Cream Cheese – A more classic style cream cheese spread, Arla’s cream cheese still checks off all of the right boxes when it comes to a cream cheese that’s ideal for the keto diet.
Keto Cream Cheese Alternatives
Luckily, it can be rather easy to replace cream cheese while following the keto diet, thanks to the fact there are so many options with a similar texture. Here are a few of my favorite cream cheese alternatives:
- Plain Greek yogurt
- Sour cream
More Keto Food FAQ’s
Make sure to also try these cream cheese keto fat bombs and jalapeno cream cheese keto breakfast wraps from A Spicy Perspective. They’re both to die for!
Ask a Question