Cauliflower pizza makes it super easy for individuals following the keto diet to still be able to enjoy a slice of pizza without having to feel guilty about it. It’s actually pretty impressive how similar cauliflower pizza crust dough is to more traditional wheat based crust. But is cauliflower pizza keto? Read on to find out as we take an in-depth look at this wildly popular low carb alternative pizza option.
What Makes Cauliflower Pizza Such a Popular Choice for Low Carb Diets?
The first thing that we’ll be taking a look at today is just why exactly cauliflower pizza is so popular in the first place. In no particular order, here are 3 of the biggest reasons why it has caught on like crazy with low carb dieters all across the globe:
- Cauliflower pizza makes it easy for individuals following low carb diets like the ketogenic diet to still be able to satisfy their pizza cravings.
- As the crust is made with a mixture of cauliflower and other low carb, whole food ingredients, cauliflower pizza is both delicious and incredibly nutritious.
- You can customize your cauliflower pizza however you want; make an easy cauliflower cheese pizza or go big and load it up to make a keto works pizza.
Is Cauliflower Pizza Keto?
Cauliflower pizza can definitely be a 100% keto-friendly way to enjoy a slice of pizza.
What do we mean by can?
Well, it’s all going to depend on what you’re adding to your cauliflower pizza when it comes to toppings. While the crust itself is obviously going to be keto approved due to being made with cauliflower, it can be all too easy to derail things by adding carb heavy toppings into the mix.
As long as you’re being mindful to use pizza toppings that are just as keto-friendly as your cauliflower crust is (meat, cheese, low carb veggies like mushrooms and peppers, etc.), then we can most definitely recommend cauliflower pizza to any and all keto dieters who are looking for a low carb way to enjoy pizza.
Cauliflower Pizza Nutrition Facts
Here is the approximate nutritional breakdown for a single slice of cauliflower pizza with no other toppings except for cheese:
- 120 calories
- 7.5 grams dietary fat
- 11 grams protein
- 2.7 grams carbs
- 0.7 grams dietary fiber
- 0.1 grams sugar
- 56.3 mg cholesterol
- 267.5 mg sodium
- 113.3 mg potassium
Good Keto Cauliflower Pizza Recipes
Health Benefits of Cauliflower Pizza
Since cauliflower pizza makes use of cauliflower as a base for the crust, it also provides you with some rather impressive health benefits on top of being so ridiculously tasty. Here are just a few of them:
- Provides you with antioxidant protection. Cauliflower is an incredibly nutrient-dense vegetable, offering up an abundance of essential vitamins, minerals, and disease fighting antioxidants. As a matter of fact, cruciferous vegetables like cauliflower are known to possess some of the strongest concentrations of antioxidants out of all vegetables. (1)
- Can help with relieving inflammation. Numerous studies have also confirmed that cauliflower can be incredibly beneficial when it comes to relieving inflammation within the body. This is quite useful indeed when you consider that unchecked chronic inflammation is one of the leading causes of disease today. (2)
- May help with hypertension. Cauliflower could even help to reduce your risk of heart disease and stroke by lowering high blood pressure. Considering that hypertension is a leading risk factor in cardiovascular disease, eating that slice of cauliflower pizza could actually be helping you to keep heart disease at bay! (3)
Keto Cauliflower Pizza Substitutes
While cauliflower pizza might be one of the more popular ways to enjoy a keto-friendly slice of pizza, it’s far from the only way. If you’d rather pass on the cauliflower, here are 3 other keto pizza crust options you can try:
(Learn more: Is Cauliflower Keto?)