Is Almond Milk Keto or Is It Too High in Carbs?
If you’re trying to stay dairy-free while following the keto diet, you’ll thankfully have plenty of options to choose from when trying to pick a substitute for milk. But are all of these options really 100% keto-friendly? Is almond milk keto or perhaps not? Let’s take a closer look.
What Makes Almond Milk a Popular Choice for Low Carb Diets?
Here are just a few of the reasons why almond milk, and unsweetened almond milk in particular, is so popular amongst people following low carb diet plans:
- Almond milk is low in calories and low in carbs (only 1.1 grams of net carbs per one cup of unsweetened almond milk).
- Almond milk provides trace amounts of essential vitamins and minerals.
- Almond milk offers similar health benefits as raw almonds (provides protection against cardiovascular disease in particular).
- Available in a variety of different flavors, including plain, vanilla, strawberry, and chocolate, almond milk remains a competitive option for those who prefer flavored milk.
- Almond milk works great in everything from making keto protein shakes, to acting as a straight replacement for dairy milk in recipes.
Is Almond Milk Keto?
Whether or not almond milk can be considered a keto food ultimately depends on a couple of different things.
The first thing to point out is that not all almond milk beverages are created the same; you’ll find both ‘normal’ and unsweetened varieties on store shelves.
With that in mind, you’re obviously going to want to stick with the unsweetened options if you’re on the keto diet. The good news is that unsweetened almond milk is readily available in a variety of different flavors at just about every major grocery retailer.
And while nothing about almond milk in particular screams keto-friendly (it’s not really a significant source of dietary fat, protein, or other key keto nutrients), it’s the fact that it’s indeed such a tasty, low carb option that makes it so great for the keto diet.
Since one cup of unsweetened almond milk only contains 1.1 net grams of carbohydrates, you can easily use it as a 100% keto-friendly substitute for dairy milk in just about any recipe.
Almond Milk Nutrition Facts
A one cup serving of unsweetened almond milk has the following nutritional breakdown:
- 30 calories
- 2.6 grams fat
- 1.1 grams protein
- 1.1 grams net carbs
- 0.7 grams dietary fiber
- 0 mg cholesterol
- 2.4 mg sodium
- 38 mg potassium
Good Keto Almond Milk Recipes
Almond Milk Health Benefits
Since almond milk is made from real almonds, it provides many of the exact same health benefits as you would get from eating raw almonds. These benefits include:
- Excellent source of calcium. Last but not least, almond milk is an excellent source of calcium, with some brands even offering as much as 50% more calcium than dairy milk. Calcium is an essential mineral required for your heart and muscles to function properly. (1)
- Cardiovascular protection. Almonds are a rich source of heart healthy monounsaturated fatty acids. This type of dietary fat has been found to provide numerous benefits for your cardiovascular health, including lowering blood pressure and reducing LDL cholesterol. (2)
- Promotes weight loss. Since almond milk is such a low calorie milk replacement option, it can help individuals with their weight loss goals, especially in conjunction with the keto diet and it’s focus on high fat, highly satiating foods. (3)
What Are the Best Keto-Friendly Almond Milk Brands?
If you’re shopping for a keto-friendly almond milk, then you can’t go wrong with any of the following options:
- Silk Unsweetened Almond Milk – With no added sugars and 50% more calcium than regular dairy milk, Silk’s unsweetened almond milk options (plain or vanilla) are all great options for keto dieters.
- Califia Farms Unsweetened Almond Milk – Another great option for keto dieters that’s incredibly even without added flavorings is this one by Califia Farms.
- Pacific Foods Organic Unsweetened Original Almond Milk – Organic almonds are gently roasted before being used to make one ridiculously tasty almond milk blend. Low in carbs and big on taste, this is a great almond milk to use on the keto diet.
Keto Almond Milk Alternatives
If you’re looking for a replacement for almond milk that’s still 100% dairy-free, then try out one of the following alternative options:
- Whole milk
- Coconut milk
- Cashew milk
- Hazelnut milk
- Soy milk
- Rice milk
Ask a Question