Tuscan soup typically consists of carb heavy ingredients like white potatoes and bread but this recipe for making an Instant Pot keto tuscan soup is an excellent alternative. It’s easy to make, 100% keto-friendly, and it tastes just as good as traditional zuppa toscana.
How to Make Instant Pot Keto Tuscan Soup
You’ll need to have access to an Instant Pot in order to make this keto soup recipe. If you don’t have one though, you can check below for a few tips on how to tweak the recipe in order to be able to make zuppa toscana without the Instant Pot.
- Prepare the Instant Pot. Press the SAUTE button on the Instant Pot and let it stand until the screen reads “HOT”.
- Add butter and cook the onion and garlic. Add the butter first and let it melt, then nadd the white onion. Saute the onion for 2-3 minutes then add the garlic and saute for about 30 seconds.
- Cook the sausage. Add the spicy Italian ground sausage and cook until brown and crumbled.
- Finish it off. Add the chicken broth and heavy cream and mix to combine.
- Cook. Close and seal the Instant Pot. Turn the venting knob to SEALING and press the PRESSURE COOK button. Adjust the timer to 9 minutes and then quick-release the pressure according to the manufacturer’s instructions when done cooking.
- Cook the spinach. Remove the lid and press the SAUTE button. You can then add in the baby spinach and cook for 1-2 minutes or until just wilted.
- Season. Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Serve. Serve warm.
What to Use In Place of an Instant Pot
If you don’t own an Instant Pot, then you can use the following 2 options to still be able to make keto Tuscan soup:
- Crockpot (cook on low for 4-6 hours)
- Conventional cooking (pot on a stove)
Can I Freeze This Keto Tuscan Soup?
You can easily freeze any leftover keto Tuscan soup you may have.
You’ll first want to make sure that you allow it to cool completely before transferring the soup into freezer-safe airtight containers. You’ll be able to keep this soup frozen for up to 6 months.
When you’re ready to reheat your Tuscan soup, you can simply add the soup into a large saucepan or pot and reheat over low or medium low heat until it’s warmed through.
3 Incredible (and Proven) Health Benefits of Eating More Soup
Making keto-friendly soup recipes like this Tuscan soup can provide you with a wealth of great health benefits. In fact, here are 3 of the top benefits you can gain by eating more soup:
- Helps with hydration. Since soups consist mostly of liquids, they’re great for helping your body with staying hydrated. This is especially beneficial for individuals who may be new to the keto diet, as dehydration caused by rapid water weight loss can be common. (1)
- Immune boosting. Many of the ingredients used in making keto soups (onion, garlic, chicken broth, etc.) are loaded with beneficial micronutrients that have an immune boosting effect. The combination of garlic and onion is particularly potent, with one study even going as far as to make the claim that ‘eating the two was a matter of life or death’. (2)
- Disease protection. Along with giving your immune system a natural boost, keto soups typically tend to be incredibly rich sources of antioxidants. Exposure to harmful free radicals has been shown to contribute to the development of chronic inflammatory diseases like cancer and Alzheimer’s; antioxidants help to protect against this cellular damage. (3)
(You may also like: Slow Cooker Keto Cabbage Weight Loss Soup>)
OMG-worthy Instant Pot Keto Tuscan Soup (Zuppa Toscana Recipe)
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
- 1 pound spicy Italian ground sausage, casing removed
- 1 tbsp butter
- ½ white onion, diced
- 3–4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 medium cauliflower head, cut into florets
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 cups baby spinach
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Press the SAUTE button on the Instant pot and let stand until screen reads “HOT”.
- Add the butter.
- Add the onion and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the sausage and cook until browned and crumbled.
- Add the broth and heavy cream and mix to combine.
- Close and seal the Instant pot.
- Turn the venting knob to SEALING and press PRESSURE COOK button.
- Adjust the timer to 9 minutes.
- When finished cooking, quick-release pressure according to manufacturer’s directions.
- Remove the lid and press the SAUTE button.
- Add the spinach and cook for 1-2 minute or until just wilted.
- Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Serve warm.