You won’t believe how easy it is to make a crustless skillet pizza that’s both low carb and 100% keto-friendly. This high-protein recipe will show you exactly how to do that in less than half an hour with just one skillet!
How to Make a Crustless Skillet Pizza
Here’s what you’ll need to know in order to make this tasty low carb crustless skillet pizza:
- Prepare the pan. Heat a 10 inch cast iron pan over medium high heat.
- Cook the pork. Add the ground pork sausage and cook for approximately 8-10 minutes, using a spatula to break it apart, until the meat is browned and cooked through.
- Remove the pork. Set it aside for now.
- Add the vegetables. Using the same 10 inch cast iron pan, add the sliced mushrooms and sliced bell peppers and cook for 5-8 minutes or until the veggies are soft and the excess moisture has evaporated.
- Return the pork. Add the pork sausage back into the pan and stir to combine.
- Add the toppings. Top with sugar-free marinara sauce, pepperoni slices, and shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Broil. Broil for 2-3 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
- Garnish. You can optionally top the skillet pizza with fresh basil leaves.
- Serve. Serve warm.
Tips for Making the Best Skillet Pizzas
Here are 2 handy tips to keep in mind when making skillet pizzas; they should help to make sure that your skillet pizzas are turning out perfect each and every time:
- Use a proper cast iron pan. You’ll want to make sure that you’re using a cast iron pan when making skillet pizza. It’s the best way to attain the high heat needed in order to make sure your pizza is nice and crispy.
- Switch up the cheese. This specific recipe calls for mozzarella cheese but don’t be afraid to mix things up. For example, you can easily make a pretty mean keto skillet pizza with white cheese, blue cheese, goat cheese–you name it!
(You may also like: Garlic Keto Skillet Bread)
Other Keto Pizza Toppings to Add
While this particular recipe will show you how to make a pepperoni skillet pizza, you can easily modify it by adding your favorite keto-friendly pizza toppings as well. Here are some of our top picks for toppings to add:
- Italian sausage
- Ground beef
- Bell peppers
- Black olives
Can I Freeze This Crustless Skillet Pizza? (+How to Reheat)
You can easily freeze this crustless skillet pizza.
After broiling it and topping with the fresh basil leaves (if you’re using them), you’ll first want to allow the pizza to cool off completely if you’re planning on freezing it.
Once that’s done, we recommend slicing the pizza into 4 equal pieces and then individually wrapping each piece. You can then add the wrapped pieces into an airtight container or a heavy duty freezer-safe bag.
You’ll be able to keep this crustless skillet pizza frozen for up to 2-3 months like this.
When you’re ready to reheat the pizza, you can simply add it back into a skillet and broil it once more until the cheese is hot and bubbly.
20-Minute Crustless Skillet Pizza (Low Carb, Keto)
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb ground pork sausage
- 1 ½ cup sliced bell peppers
- 8 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup sugar-free marinara sauce
- 1 ½ cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 ½ oz pepperoni slices
- fresh basil leaves (optional)
- Heat 10 inch cast iron pan over medium hight heat.
- Add the pork and cook for 8-10 minutes, breaking apart with a spatula, until browned and cooked through.
- Remove the pork form the pan.
- In the same pan add the mushrooms and bell pepper and cook for 5-8 minutes or until vegetables are soft and any excess moisture has evaporated.
- Return the pork in the pan and stir to combine.
- Top with marinara sauce, shredded mozzarella cheese and pepperoni slices.
- Broil for 2-3 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
- Top with fresh basil leaves (if using) and serve.