This recipe for making 5-minute coddled eggs with cheddar cheese and chives is a great choice when it comes to whipping up a nutritious and protein-packed meal in a hurry. It’s also a great make-ahead meal choice, which can make it a breeze if you find yourself in need of some ‘fast food’.
How to Make Coddled Eggs with Cheddar Cheese and Chives
- Place the jars. Place four jars in a deep skillet.
- Add water. Pour water into the skillet until it reaches ¾ up the jars.
- Remove the jars. Remove the jars and heat the water over medium high heat.
- Boil. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer.
- Prepare the eggs. Crack a large egg into each of the four jars.
- Garnish. Sprinkle with shredded Cheddar cheese and chopped chives.
- Cook. Carefully place the jars into the water in the skillet and cook for 5 minutes (or until the whites are set but the yolks remain runny).
- Season. Carefully remove the jars from the skillet and season the eggs with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Serve. Serve the eggs with toasted keto bread.
What are Coddled Eggs?
Coddled eggs is the fancy term given to eggs that have been put in a jar (or some other type of container) and then cooked in water that is just below the boiling point.
They can be prepared as is, or you can add additional ingredients into the mixture as well (like this particular recipe that includes cheddar cheese and chopped chives).
(Learn more: Are Eggs Keto?)
How to Store and Reheat Coddled Eggs
After cooking and seasoning the coddled eggs, you’ll want to make sure that you allow them to cool off completely before doing anything else if you’re planning on storing them.
Once they have cooled completely, you can then add the eggs into an airtight container and store them in either the fridge or the freezer.
If stored in the fridge, you can expect your coddled eggs to keep for up to 3-4 days. If frozen, they will instead keep for up to 2-4 weeks. However, since eggs are easy to cook and take very little time, I recommend just making a fresh batch every time instead of freezing them.
5-Minute Coddled Eggs with Cheddar Cheese and Chives
- Prep Time: 3 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 8 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- 4 large eggs
- 4 tbsp shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 tbsp chopped fresh chives
- Place four jars in a deep skillet.
- Pour water into the skillet until it reaches three-quarters up the jars.
- Remove the jars and place the water on medium-high heat.
- Bring to a boil then reduce to simmer.
- Crack an egg into each jar.
- Sprinkle with shredded Cheddar and chopped chives.
- Carefully place the jars into the water and cook for 5 minutes or until the whites are set but yolks still runny.
- Remove the jars carefully from the skillet.
- Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Serve with toasted keto bread.