Just because you’ve gone keto doesn’t mean you have to give up classic breakfast favorites like pancakes. And with this recipe for making chocolate chip keto pancakes, you’ll still be able to enjoy unbelievably yummy pancakes without having to feel guilty about it. These feel almost like dessert, if you ask me.
How to Make Chocolate Chip Keto Pancakes
If you don’t think it’s possible to enjoy some chocolate chip goodness for breakfast, then this recipe is going to be such a treat. Just wait until your kids try it; they’ll be thrilled!
- Combine the dry ingredients. Add the almond flour, baking powder, and a pinch of salt to a bowl and mix to combine. If you don’t have any almond flour, you can simply make your own using raw almonds.
- Whisk the wet ingredients together. In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, unsweetened almond milk, and a low carb sweetener like Stevia. You can use either a liquid sweetener or a powdered sweetener for this.
- Combine the wet and dry mixtures in a large bowl. Add the wet ingredients in with the dry and whisk until just combined.
- Fold in the sugar-free dark chocolate chips. Add as many as you would like or fit into your calorie or carb allowance.
- Prepare the cooking skillet. Lightly grease a non stick skillet with olive oil and heat over medium low heat until hot.
- Cook. Drop ¼ cup of batter for each pancake onto the hot skillet and cook until small bubbles begin to form on top. Carefully flip the pancake and cook the other side for an additional 1-1.5 minutes or until cooked through.
- Serve. Serve the pancakes warm with your favorite keto toppings.
3 Easy to Remember Tips for Cooking the Best Keto Pancakes
Since keto pancake recipes tend to substitute many of the most common ingredients used to make pancakes, it can end up taking some people a bit of time to get used to making them. You can speed up the learning curve by keeping these handy tips in mind:
- Don’t overcook. Since pancakes have such a short cooking time, it can be quite easy to accidentally overcook them. When you’re first getting used to making keto recipes like this one, make sure that you’re paying close attention to your pancakes when cooking to avoid this surprisingly common issue.
- Don’t overmix. Another common problem that some people run into (whether making regular or keto pancakes) is to overmix their pancake batter. You want to mix the batter just enough to remove any clumps; overmixing will end up making your pancakes too dry.
- Stick with almond flour. Many people wonder if they can just substitute in coconut flour (or other similar keto baking flours) when making pancake recipes like this one. I highly recommend sticking with almond flour for this particular recipe. Coconut flour would be too coarse and will end up giving your pancakes a rather grainy texture.
Can I Have These Chocolate Chip Keto Pancakes Everyday?
These keto pancakes are easily delicious enough to make you crave them for breakfast each and every day. But are these pancakes actually healthy enough to be enjoyed daily? Absolutely!
As a matter of fact, here are 2 proven health benefits that these pancakes can provide:
- Keeps your heart healthy. Almond flour provides many of the same cardioprotective benefits as raw almonds do; namely the ability to reduce blood pressure while lowering harmful LDL cholesterol levels, and increasing beneficial HDL cholesterol levels. (1)
- Provides disease-fighting antioxidants. Normally chocolate chip pancakes would be considered quite an unhealthy meal option; but using sugar-free dark chocolate chips instead of milk chocolate chips actually makes these pancakes even better for you. This is because dark chocolate is loaded with beneficial antioxidant compounds that have been shown to help protect against disease in numerous studies. (2)
Are Keto Pancakes Fluffy?
As long as you keep our keto pancake tips (see above) in mind when making this recipe, these chocolate chip pancakes do indeed turn out delightfully fluffy. With that being said, here are a few extra tips in closing to help make sure your keto pancakes always turn out nice and fluffy:
- Make sure your pancake batter is sufficiently thick enough while still being pourable.
- Let the batter rest for a few moments before cooking.
- Be as gentle as possible when flipping your pancakes.
- In case you have difficulty flipping the pancakes, try using two spatulas to gently flip.
More Good Keto Pancake Recipes:
- Make Ahead Keto Pancake Mix
- Cream Cheese Keto Pancakes
- Homemade Keto Pancake Syrup
- Keto Lemon Ricotta Pancakes
- Cinnamon Roll Pancakes
- Keto Scallion Pancakes
Yummy Chocolate Chip Keto Pancakes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- 1 ½ cup almond flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp granulated Stevia or other low carb granulated sweetener
- 3 large eggs
- ¼ cup unsweetened almond milk
- 3 tbsp sugar-free dark chocolate chips
- oil for cooking
- In a bowl place the almond flour, baking powder and pinch of salt.
- Mix to combine.
- In another bowl whisk the eggs, sweetener and almond milk.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and whisk until just combined.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Lightly grease a non stick skillet with oil.
- Heat the skillet over medium low heat until hot.
- Drop ¼ cup of batter for each pancake onto the hot skillet.
- Cook until small bubbles begin to form on the top.
- Carefully flip the pancakes and cook on the other side 60- 90 seconds or until cooked through.
- Serve warm.