Mug cakes are great for those times where you’ve got a craving for baked sweets but you don’t want to go through all of the hassle of baking something from scratch. You can quickly and easily whip up this keto blueberry lemon mug cake in just 3 minutes! Here’s how to make it.
How to Make a Keto Blueberry Lemon Mug Cake
- Prepare the flour mixture. Add the almond flour and baking powder to a small bowl and mix to combine.
- Whisk together the wet ingredients. Add the egg, lemon juice, lemon zest, and a low carb sweetener like Stevia to a microwave-safe tall mug and whisk to combine.
- Add the flour mixture. Add the almond flour mixture to the egg mixture and mix to combine. Then, fold in the blueberries. Don’t overmix.
- Microwave. Microwave the mug cake on high for 90 seconds or until just firm to the touch with a toothpick inserted into the center coming out clean.
- Serve. Serve the mug cake warm.
How to Make Homemade Almond Flour
I normally recommend going with store bought brands of almond flour when making keto baking recipes. The reason for this is store brands tend to have a much finer texture than making your own homemade almond flour offers, which results in less grainy cakes and muffins.
However, if you’re dead set on making your own almond flour, here’s the best way to do so:
- Make sure that you’re using blanched almonds (blanched almonds are simply almonds that have had their skin removed).
- Use either a food processor or blender to blend the almonds; I find that using a blender works better for getting a finer flour mixture.
- Remember that using one cup of almonds will result in about one cup of almond flour.
- With that in mind, it’s important to only process one cup of almonds at a time for the best texture; doing too much at once is what causes it to have a more coarse texture.
- Keep your almond flour stored in an airtight container; you can either keep it in a dark pantry or in the fridge for up to one year.
Keto Mug Cake Toppings
As good as this mug cake is on its own, there’s no denying that it’s even better when you add your favorite keto-friendly toppings. Here are just a few of my recommended toppings to pair with this blueberry lemon mug cake:
- Homemade blueberry sauce
- Homemade cream cheese frosting
- Whipped cream and fresh berries
2 Tips for Making Soft, Moist Keto Mug Cakes
Is your mug cake turning out dry and flaky instead of soft and moist? These tips might help:
- Add a drop or two of water to the top of your mug cake mixture before microwaving; it will help to prevent the cake from drying out by evaporating and adding moisture to the cake while it microwaves.
- Don’t try to substitute another keto baking flour (like coconut flour) for almond flour at a 1:1 ratio; the ingredients used in this recipe call for the exact amounts needed to end up with the best final texture.
(You may also like: 3-Minute Coconut Flour Keto Mug Cake)
3-Minute Keto Blueberry Lemon Mug Cake
- Prep Time: 90 seconds
- Cook Time: 90 seconds
- Total Time: 3 minutes
- Yield: 1 1x
- 1 egg
- 5 tbsp almond flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 ½ tbsp granulated Stevia or other low carb granulated sweetener
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 2 tbsp blueberries
- In a small bowl combine the almond flour and baking powder.
- Add the egg, lemon juice, lemon zest and sweetener to a microwave-safe tall mug and whisk to combine.
- Add the almond flour mixture and mix to combine.
- Fold in the blueberries.
- Microwave on high for 90 seconds or until just firm to touch and toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Serve warm.