Over the years, hot dogs have evolved into somewhat of a comfort food, so it’s no wonder they now come in many different variants. But are hot dogs keto and are there any benefits to incorporating hot dogs into your diet? Let’s take a look at the facts first.
What Makes Hot Dogs a Popular Choice for Low Carb Dieters?
We’ll start by taking a look at a few of the reasons why hot dogs are so popular with low carb dieters in the first place. Here are 5 of the most common reasons:
- Hot dogs are affordable and readily available. Many supermarkets sell them by the dozen for as low as $1 or $2 per pack, depending on the type of hot dog.
- They offer a solid amount of both protein and dietary fat.
- Hot dogs are typically low in carbs.
- They’re surprisingly versatile. You can make a wide range of tasty low carb dishes with hot dogs.
- Hot dogs now come in plant-based options as well.
- Hot dogs can be surprisingly nutritious as long as you’re sticking with keto approved types (more on that below).
Are Hot Dogs Keto?
Believe it or not, hot dogs are absolutely 100% keto-friendly.
Even if you disregard the fact that the most common commercially available brands of hot dogs aren’t exactly ideal for your health, they still meet all of the macro requirements necessary to be keto-friendly.
With that being said though, there is indeed a big difference between a ‘keto-friendly hot dog’ and a hot dog that’s actually good for you (not to worry as we’ll provide a list of our top keto hot dog brands in a bit).
You’ll also come across quite an extensive range of hot dog options to choose from, which are not all keto-friendly. Some brands and flavor variants may contain added sugars, and some plant-based hot dogs may be higher in carbs than their meat counterparts.
Keto-friendly Hot Dog Recipes
Hot Dog Nutrition Facts
Here is the approximate nutritional breakdown for your average single hot dog (typical size of 52 grams):
- 151 calories
- 13 grams fat
- 5 grams protein
- 2.2 grams carbs
- 0 grams dietary fiber
- 0 grams sugar
- 40 mg cholesterol
- 567 mg sodium
- 79 mg potassium
What Are the Best Keto-Friendly Hot Dog Brands?
If you’re going to be eating hot dogs on the keto diet, make sure to read the labels and choose the best ones for you and your nutritional guidelines. Here are our top 2 picks to help you out:
- Applegate The Great Organic Uncured Beef Hot Dog – These tasty hot dogs are made with 100% grass-fed beef mixed with a delectable blend of spices, including cayenne pepper, ginger, paprika, and more.
- Hebrew National 100% Kosher Beef Franks – These hot dogs are made with 100% kosher cuts of premium beef and that great taste is reflected in each and every bite.
Keto Hot Dog Alternatives
If you’re looking for a low cost hot dog substitute that’s of the ready-to-cook variety, feel free to check out any of the following alternative options:
- Sausage patties
- Hamburger patties